Looking for ways to connect with your family during the holidays? Consider doing a family or couple project in which you are helping others who are in need. Not only can it be a way to connect on a deeper level with your loved ones, but it can be a wonderful way of instilling the value of helping others to your children. And of course helping someone need!
Here are some things to consider with a Family or Couple Service Project:
- Who do we want to help? This is a great time to do some braining storming as a couple or as a family. It can be a time when you each can share what you feel is worthwhile to give to, what you each feel passionate about. And then practicing cooperatively coming to a conclusion about what service project you do. You may even choose to do more than one project.
- Are you going to volunteer time, give money or gifts? There are lots of options in all of these categories. Listed below are a few general ideas.
- Gently used items – toys, household goods, etc can be donated to a non profit agency.
- Collecting food as a family for a non profit group or shopping for food together to give to a non profit group that serves those who need help with food.
- Participating in an Angel Tree that is in your community.
- Bake cookies or holiday treats for the Homeless Shelter or a Nursing Home or whatever group you feel would like this kind of thing.
- Have a party and have participants bring a particular item for your project. For example: All who come to the party bring mittens or hats for a Christmas tree that you decorate at the party for those in need. Or you could have folks bring canned goods to set under a tree. Then later you take it to an agency that you know can use it.
- Donate some time at a non profit agency. Call non profit groups and see what kinds of things they need help with.
3. Treat your family to a special treat or fun time after your service project and talk about all you have been blessed with.
Note: This is an activity that will work for couples also. No children required!