Are you in process of considering what might be a fun 4th of July celebration for your family. Not sure what to do this 4th? I ran across an article in www.travelok.com that was titled “Let Freedom Ring: Top 4th of July Celebrations in Oklahoma”. Enter this title name in the SEARCH Box at the top of the home page. Check this article out for some of the big and little city celebrations across Oklahoma. Below is an abbreviated summary of what Travel OK sees as top OK 4th of July celebrations.
4th of JULY BIG TOWN CELEBRATIONS:
Liberty Fest -Edmond
CNN and USA Today lists this as one of the top 10 celebrations in the nation. Included in this celebration is a large 4th of July parade, free watermelon feed, live entertainment and children’s activities. Plus, Parkfest, which is their large firework display in the OK City metro area.
Tulsa FreedomFest – Tulsa
On the banks of the Arkansas River throughout Tulsa River Parks. Live music with three entertainment locations on the river, with face painting and inflatables for the children. One of the largest free firework displays in OK.
Art in the Park: A Celebration in the Heartland – Moore
Children’s Art Tent; Sand Pit; Car,Truck & Motorcycle Show; Carnival Rides and 4th of July Foods
Freedom Fest – Yukon
At Yukon City Park you will find a children’s parade, crafts, free swimming and games. During the evening hours you have free watermelon, free ice cream and live music throughout Chisholm Trail Park. After dark there is fireworks and a performance by the Oklahoma City Philharmonic Orchestra.
4th of JULY SMALL TOWN CELEBRATIONS:
Blackberry Festival – McLoud
Long running event in McLoud, OK in which you will find a black berry cobbler eating contest, a blackberry baking contest and the crowning of the Blackberry Queen. Other activities include a car show, living history demonstrations, a carnival and fireworks.
Watermelon See Spitten World Championship – Pauls Valley
You will see a fireworks, enjoy live music and have 4th of July food as you watch this Word Championship that is featured in The Guinness Book of World Records and Ripley’s Believe it or Not.
July 4th Games – Pawnee
Games for children of all ages include: turtle races, horseshoe throw, bubble gum blowing contest and water balloon fights. Held in the lawn of the historic Pawnee County Courthouse. Other games include: boot-toss, tug-of-war tournament, egg toss, and tricycle races. At noon time you will find a parade that travels through downtown Pawnee. Fireworks take place at Pawnee Lake at dusk.
Duck Creek Fireworks – Ketchum
Enjoy a picnic and a swim along with live music at Grand Lake in northeast OK. Food and fun as you watch the annual boat parade along Duck Creek. Early evening there is a War Bird flyover and then at dusk a fireworks display over Grand Lake that is synchronized to 4th of July music.
Boomer Blast – Stillwater
Wakeboard and wakeskate tournament, including competition for the young ones. Food and activities that are topped of with a firework display over the lake.
Go to www.travelok.com and find the article mentioned above and for more detailed information on each activity you can click on adjacent links
Special Note: You might also check out Guthrie Greens 4th of July Celebration in Tulsa. www.guthriegreen.com
A few things to consider when planning your family 4th of July celebration:
- What kind of activities will work best for my family? What will work for their specific ages? Will my youngest be able to handle the distance of the fireworks and can they keep up with a high energy crowd?
- As a couple, what are we in the mood for this year? Do we want to watch be close up and in the mix of it all or would we rather sit back and maybe watch the fireworks from the Tulsa Rose Garden or from another more distant spot that is not so frenetic.
- Do we want to travel or do something close in town?
- Is there some down times or quieter, less stimulating time planned for the day and evening to keep it balanced and not overwhelming or over stimulating for the family.
- Has the entire family had a chance to give their opinion or thoughts on what they would like for the 4th. Of course, as with any activity planning, most all family members will have to do some compromising.
- Is there a time among all the celebrating to talk about what we are thankful for in our USA?
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY and best wishes for finding the best fit for your family and their own unique way of celebrating.