What does “self care” mean and how do you create what is the best self care for you? It is a bit confusing and overwhelming at times, figuring out what might be the most helpful wellness plan for ourselves. I am going to give my thoughts in a nutshell as to how to find the best self care for you.
First of all, what is self care? I see self care as incorporating healthy ways to keep your mind, body, and soul strong, vibrant and healthy. Well being is another word I sometimes use for self care.
Five Strategies to Create the Best Self Care for YOU . . .
- First on the list is to recognize what is best for you may not look like what is best for your spouse or for your best friend or whatever is currently in fashion. Choose what will make the most difference for you. We are all unique individuals with varying values and goals. Think about what you feel you are missing that would help you feel better. What areas in your life do you feel do not contribute to your well being or serve you well? Focus on these areas to make changes that will help you to feel strong and vibrant, full of well being. Currently for my self I have been focusing on more meditation and prayer, plus more movement. And then, adding more fun in my life:) You may be trying to get more sleep or eat in a more healthy way or hydrate your body more. It might be decluttering a room. You will have your own individual needs.
- Consider the “season” of your life and what will fit in comfortably and dove tail with what is going on in your life at this time. Decide what is most important and in what way you can integrate it into your current chapter of life. Basically it is about taking it a step at a time and doing what you can do and feeling good about it. Small changes can make big difference in feeling better. Be compassionate with yourself as you go through this journey toward more well being and vibrant energy.
- Be holistic in your plan for self care. Taking care of ourselves is more than creating an exercise plan. To look at your body, mind and soul is all important. It all works together for creating what will be the strongest and most vibrantly healthy you, as we now know there is a mind-body connection. Taking it one step at a time and starting with what you feel will be the most beneficial for you keeps it from being overwhelming. And then continuing to add in what will make you feel more strong, healthy and happy.
- Create a plan that is flexible and evolving. Perfection is not the goal. It is helpful to remember it is not a competition, but an unfolding of creating what is best for you and what you value and deem as most important. Your body and state of mental welling being will tell you where you need to start or put the most focus on. Listen to your internal gut. Being willing to try new things can help. There are many roads to self care. You will find some of these new things fit and some will not. You can always re-align yourself to a better fit if need be.
- Design a plan that is balanced as to your own self care and that of maintaining a healthy family and relationship life and attending to your work and to what you consider your “purpose”. This can be tricky as many of us live very full lives and it can feel like we do not have time for self care and relationship and work care as well. It is possible at times to merge your self care with relationship care if you are doing some of these things together. Maybe you are cooking healthy food together or it might be you are doing family walks in the evening together or other activities that promote good self care. Of course, sometimes the self care is about having some quiet time by yourself. Everyone communicating about how to incorporate every ones needs is important and keeps misunderstandings from occurring with your loved ones.
Self care is about caring for you and choosing to do what is ultimately best for you as a whole person, interweaving this with all of the other aspects of your life. It is a journey and it will shift and change as you do. I have found personally to accept that my self care endeavors will not be perfect and that is ok. Getting back up and starting again when I get off track is just a part of this evolving plan that shifts and aliens with the rest of my life. I will at time have more focus on my family and work and other times more focus on my self care. Of course having self care be consistent is most helpful, but I know at times this will not happen due to special circumstances. Life is a continuing flow of choices and a need to focus on what you deem most important at the time. All of the pieces are like a tapestry and can be woven together to create the life you want.
I wish you the best in your journey to better self care and creating your own beautiful tapestry.
I welcome comments from you as to what has been helpful for you in your journey to better self care and wellness.
Professional Disclosure: This blog is offered as educational information and is not offered as professional therapeutic services. This is not intended as treatment. For professional help contact your local mental health professional. Strom Individual and Family Therapy is not liable for any action or non action you take in regard to this article.
Thank you for recommending to take it one step at a time, I could not agree more! I am an all in kind of person and to see changes, we always have to take it one step at a time. I love that you also encouraged starting with what you feel will be the most beneficial for YOU and adding in things that make YOU feel strong, healthy and happy may look different than other people you are close to. Good read, great tips!