The Woody Guthrie Center in Downtown Tulsa would be a lovely winter’s day activity for families or for couples. It is dedicated to the life and legacy of American folk musician and singer-songwriter Woody Guthrie. This interactive museum is appropriate for mid elementary children and up. The center includes:
- The Dust Bowl Section featuring the viewing of a film on the dust bowl as you listen to some of Woody’s Dust Bowl Ballads. (This was one of my favorite areas. Watching what the dust bowl was like was pretty fascinating.)
- Music Bar for listening to Woody’s music.
- Lyric writing station where you can have a hand at creating a lyric.
- Woody’s America interactive map to learn about Woody’s history.
- Woody’s Footsteps Exhibit.
- Woody’s Lyric Journal.
- Woody’s violin, guitar and mandolin.
- Original, hand written lyrics of “This Land is Your Land”.
- Woody Guthrie Archives and Research Area
- Special Exhibit Gallery
Woody Guthrie Center
102 E M.B. Brady Street, Tulsa, OK 74103
Tuesday – Sunday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
First Fridays: Open til 9:00 pm
Closed on Mondays
This would be an especially fun trip for any family or couple who like music. And of course if you like Woody Guthrie, you will definitely love this museum!